Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Language Environments

      Do you ever find yourself speaking differently to your friends than you do with your teachers, parents or at work? That's because there are different language environments in which we change our speech to meet the standards of who we are talking to. Its the same when we are writing an e-mail, or texting. 
        When I'm with my family, I don't use any slang or vulgar speech because I know that if i do, they'll yell or ground me. When I'm with my friends though, I'll let the F-bombs fly no problem. At work during the day, or on shift helping customers I use proper English and grammar when I speak. After though; depending who the manager on shift is, and depending if they say something vulgar first, then I swear back and talk about customers. 
       Language we use really depends on who we are with, and who is around at the time. If I'm out in public with my friends I'll be swearing up a storm, but with my mom I'm usually quiet and don't talk much at all. When texting, unless I'm in a hurry i type out all of my words and swear to whoever I'm sending the message to. E-mails are different, since I'm currently e-mailing a middle school teacher about interning with her and a few other teachers. 
      -Comment below on what language you use with your parents, friends, work, or other places and if you think our language changes depending on who we are with.

No comments:

Post a Comment